-->
young adult book reviews & more

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Lock and KeyRuby is having a hard time adjusting to her new life. She’s not used to not having to worry about the bare necessities such as food and clothing. She’s not accustomed to all the money. She’s not used to living with her family.

It wasn’t too long ago that Ruby’s mother left her for good. No one besides Ruby knew, and she was planning to keep it that way until she turned eighteen and was legally an adult. But someone found out, and now Ruby has to live with her sister and brother-in-law. But Ruby doesn’t know how to deal with this new lifestyle, or with her overly friendly neighbor Nate. Ruby doesn’t like depending on anyone or letting anyone really get to know her. But Nate might be more like her than she thinks.

Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors of all time, and she does not disappoint with Lock and Key. I really love how Sarah Dessen can really capture the emotions people like Ruby feel, the stubborn independence and loneliness. She weaves a beautiful story of the healing of a girl and the healing she returns. Like all of Sarah Dessen’s novels, Lock and Key is truly amazing.

There is a lot of symbolism in this novel, mostly stemming from the title, and this is what makes the story so brilliant. On one hand, there is Ruby who is reluctant to unlock her past to anyone but ends up letting Nate into her heart. On the other, Nate refuses to let Ruby unlock him. The struggles of both Ruby and Nate are so similar to some of the struggles many teens face today, although in different perspectives, and I really appreciated how realistic it was.

I highly recommend Lock and Key along with all of Sarah Dessen’s other novels, including The Truth about Forever, This Lullaby, and Just Listen. Fans of Deb Caletti will also enjoy this novel, as well as teens everywhere.

Rating: 4.25

Review copy from personal collection

9 munch(es) :

Em said...

I just love Sarah Dessen's books and especially this one. :-)

Abby O. said...

I tagged you for bookandlove's meme.More details on my her blog and mine.:)

Axa said...

I can't wait to read it!

Steph said...

I wanna read this :) And what's this I hear about symbolism? Me wants it.

Steph

Keri Mikulski said...

Can't wait to read this one. Thanks for the review. :)

Barrie said...

I have been waiting and waiting for this book. Now, I have a B&N gift card from Mother's Day and a 15% off coupon from my email inbox. I can't wait until tomorrow!! Lock and Key, here I come!

Anonymous said...

Okay, i love all of Sarah Dessen's novels, but this one was not my favorite. I still would definately recomend it for other teen readers like myself.

I especially loved how Dessen put characters from the other books in this one.

Overall, it was a great book; Rank it high!

(Also, a new book by Sarah is coming out soon. It is called Along For the Ride. . . Look for it in stores near you!)

Anonymous said...

this is a wonderful book i read it ove and over

Anonymous said...

this was a great book! i love sarah dessans books. i have almost finished all of them. (:

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.